Open Access Publishing:
- Open Access (OA)
- Article Processing Charge (APC)
- APC Waiver and Discounts
- Benefits of Open Access
- Creative Commons Licenses
Open access (OA) is a publishing model for scholarly communication that makes research information available to readers at no cost, as opposed to the traditional subscription model in which readers have access to scholarly information by paying a subscription (usually via libraries). Open access is a broad international movement that seeks to grant free and open online access to academic information, such as publications and data. A publication is defined ‘open access’ when there are no financial, legal or technical barriers to accessing it – that is to say when anyone can read, download, copy, distribute, print, search for and search within the information, or use it in education or in any other way within the legal agreements.
One of the most important advantages of open access is that it increases the visibility and reuse of academic research results. There is also criticism, and the aspect of quality deserves extra effort. The principles of open access are set out in the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities (2003). This declaration has been signed by many international organizations for academic research, including all Dutch universities and research organizations.
All articles published in the International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE) are open access i.e. made freely and permanently available online immediately upon publication, without subscription charges.
As authors of articles published in the International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE), authors are the copyright holders of the article and have granted to any third party, in advance and in perpetuity, the right to use, reproduce or disseminate your article.
Article Processing Charge (APC):
In order to publish an article in the International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE), authors of accepted articles are required to pay an Article Processing Charge (APC). APC is determined on the date of acceptance. Open access articles whose publication is funded by payments made to authors, their organizations or funding bodies, commonly known as article publication charges (APC). As an open access journal with no subscription fee, APC is payable by the author or research funder to cover the costs associated with publication. The APC of an article is onetime fee per article basis. For more details, please see APC policy.
APC Waiver and Discounts:
The Blue Eyes Intelligence Engineering and Sciences Publication (BEIESP) offers waivers for Article Processing Charges (APCs) for article (s) whose corresponding authors are based in low-income countries. The Blue Eyes Intelligence Engineering and Sciences Publication (BEIESP) offers APC waivers to article (s) whose corresponding authors are based in countries classified by the World Bank as low-income economies as on date.
Articles whose corresponding authors are based in countries with lower-middle-income economies and with a 2020 gross domestic product (GDP) of less than 200 billion US dollars are eligible for a 10% discount (reference – World Bank). Please request your waiver or discount at the point of submission. Authors can write to the journal during Article Submission for APC waivers and discounts if they are under the policy of APC Waivers and Discounts.
Benefits of Open Access:
Funders invest in research in order to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, encourage innovation, enrich education, and stimulate the economy – to improve the public good. They recognize that broad access to the results of research is an essential component of the research process itself. Research advances only through sharing of results, and the value of an investment in research is only maximized through wide use of its results. Yet, too often, research results are not available to the broadest community of potential users. The Internet provides a new opportunity to bring information to a wider audience at virtually no marginal cost, and allow them to use it in new, innovative ways. Publishing OA offers a number of benefits, including greater reach and readership for published work:
- Increases readers’ ability to find and use relevant literature.
- Increases the visibility, readership and impact of author’s works.
- Creates new avenues for discovery in digital environment.
- Enhances interdisciplinary research.
- Accelerates the pace of research, discovery and innovation.
- Educational Institutions:
- Contributes to core mission of advancing knowledge.
- Democratizes access across all institutions – regardless of size or budget.
- Provides previously unattainable access to community colleges, two-year colleges, K-12 and other schools.
- Provides access to crucial STEM materials.
- Increases competitiveness of academic institutions.
- Enriches the quality of their education.
- Ensures access to all that students need to know, rather than what they (or their school) can afford.
- Contributes to a better-educated workforce.
- Research Funders:
- Leverages return on research investment.
- Creates tool to manage research portfolio.
- Avoids funding duplicative research.
- Creates transparency.
- Encourages greater interaction with results of funded research.
- Access to cutting-edge research encourages innovation.
- Stimulates new ideas, new services, new products.
- Creates new opportunities for job creation.
- Provides access to previously unavailable materials relating to health, energy, environment, and other areas of broad interest.
- Creates a better educated populace.
- Encourages support of scientific enterprise and engagement in citizen science.
Creative Commons Licenses:
OA articles in the International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE) are published under Creative Commons licenses. These provide an industry-standard framework to support easy re-use of OA material. Under Creative Commons licenses, authors retain copyright of their articles.
The International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE) articles are published OA under a CC BY license (Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license). The CC BY license is the most open license available, and is considered the industry ‘gold standard’ for open access; it is also preferred by many funders. This license allows readers to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, and to alter, transform, or build upon the material, including for commercial use, providing the original author is credited.
In instances where authors are not allowed to retain copyright to their own article (where the author is a US Government employee, for example), authors should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting their article so we can advise as to whether their non-standard copyright request can be accommodated.