Abstract: The cloaking theory is the mother of stealth technology. Now a day as per cloaking theory you can hide anything from the naked eye even satellites, Radars and cameras etc, are operational. The cloaking should guide electromagnetic waves around an object as if nothing were there, regardless of where the waves come from. The cloak could reduce the scattering of waves used for radio and aerospace technology. Mankind has a cloaking concept over several centuries. This paper comprises of different section. The section I is introduction of cloaking and metamaterial. In section II we describe brief history of cloaking. In section III types of cloaking with details. In section IV we describes applications and in V analyses of cloaking types with their beneficial and drawbacks. At the end we discussed conclusion.
Keywords: Communications, Metamaterial, Cloaking, Techniques, Invisibility, Naked eye.
- Romain Fleury and Andrea Alu` “Cloaking and Invisibility: A Review” Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 147, 171–202, 2014.
- Craster, R. V. and S. Guenneau, Acoustic Metamaterials: Negative Refraction, Imaging, Lensing and Cloaking, Springer, 2012.
- Veselago, V. G., “The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ,” Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509–514, Apr. 1968.
- Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, “Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184–4187, May 2000. 15.
- Pendry, J., “Optics: Positively negative,” Nature, Vol. 423, No. 6935, 22–23, May 2003. 16.
- Smith, D. R., J. B. Pendry, and M. C. K. Wiltshire, “Metamaterials and negative refractive index,” Science, Vol. 305, No. 5685, 788–792, Aug. 2004.
- Capolino, F., Applications of Metamaterials, CRC Press, 2009.
- Marqu´es, R., F. Mart´ın, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- Jichun Li “A Literature Survey Of Mathematical Study Of Metamaterials” International Journal Of Numerical Analysis And Modeling, Institute for Scientiﬁc Computing and Information, Pages 230–243,Volume 13, 2 Number, 2016.
- G. Veselago, The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of and µ, Soviet Phys. Uspekhi 10 (1968) 509–514.
- R. Smith, W.J. Padilla, D.C. Vier, S.C. Nemat-Nasser and S. Schultz, Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity, Phys. Rev. Lett. 84 (2000).
- A. Shelby, D.R. Smith and S. Schultz, Experimental veriﬁcation of a negative index of refraction, Science 292 (2001) 489–491.
- Leonhardt, Optical conformal mapping, Science 312 (2006) 1777–1780.
- B. Pendry, D.Schurig and D.R. Smith, Controlling electromagnetic ﬁelds, Science 312(2006).
- Chen, C.T. Chan and P. Sheng, transformation optics and metamaterials, Nature Materials 9 (2010) 387–396.
- H. Werner and D.-H. Kwon (eds.), Transformation Electromagnetics and Metamaterials, Springer, 2014.
- Greenleaf, M. Lassas and G. Uhlmann, Anisotropic conductivities that cannot detected in EIT, Physiolog. Meas. (special issue on Impedance Tomography), 24 (2003) 413–420.
- Greenleaf, M. Lassas and G. Uhlmann, On nonuniqueness for Calder´ons inverse problem, Math. Res. Lett. 10 (2003) 685–693.
- Janos Perczel “Invisibility cloaking without superluminal propagation” University of St Andrews, 6 May 2011.
- F. Service and A. Cho, Science 330, 1622 (2010).
- Leonhardt and T. G. Philbin, Geometry and Light: The Science of Invisibility (Dover, Mineola 2010).
- K. Sarychev, V. M. Shalaev, Electrodynamics of Metamaterials (World Scientiﬁc, Singapore, (2007).
- Schurig, J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr and D. R. Smith, Science 314, 977 (2006).
- S. Li and J. B. Pendry, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 203901 (2008).
- Chen, Y. Luo, J. Zhang, K. Jiang, J.B. Pendry, and S. Zhang, Nature Commun. 2, 176 (2011).
- Chen and C. T. Chan, Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 183518 (2007).
- Zhang, C. Xia, and N. Fang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 024301 (2011).
- Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, “Controlling electromagnetic ﬁelds,” Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780–1782, Jun. 2006.
- Sheng, P., “Waves on the Horizon,” Science, Vol. 313, No. 5792, 1399–1400, Sep. 2006.
- Leonhardt, U. and T. Tyc, “Broadband invisibility by non-euclidean cloaking,” Science, Vol. 323, No. 5910, 110–112, Jan. 2009.
- Perczel, J., T. Tyc, and U. Leonhardt, “Invisibility cloaking without superluminal propagation,” New J. Phys., Vol. 13, No. 8, 083007, Aug. 2011.
- Hendi, A., J. Henn, and U. Leonhardt, “Ambiguities in the scattering tomography for central potentials,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 7, 073902, Aug. 2006.
- Li, J. and J. B. Pendry, “Hiding under the carpet: A new strategy for cloaking,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 101, No. 20, 203901, Nov. 2008.
- Liu, R., C. Ji, J. J. Mock, J. Y. Chin, T. J. Cui, and D. R. Smith, “Broadband ground-plane cloak,” Science, Vol. 323, No. 5912, 366–369, Jan. 2009.
- Wood, B. and J. B. Pendry, “Metamaterials at zero frequency,” J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 19, No. 7, 076208, Feb. 2007.
- Sanchez, A., C. Navau, J. Prat-Camps, and D.-X. Chen, “Antimagnets: Controlling magnetic ﬁelds with superconductor–metamaterial hybrids,” New J. Phys., Vol. 13, No. 9, Sep. 2011.
- Souc, J., M. Solovyov, F. Go¨m¨ory, J. Prat-Camps, C. Navau, and A. Sanchez, “A quasistatic magnetic cloak,” New J. Phys., Vol. 15, No. 5, 053019, May 2013.
- Yang, F., Z. L. Mei, T. Y. Jin, and T. J. Cui, “dc electric invisibility cloak,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 109, No. 5, 053902, Aug. 2012.
- Mei, Z. L., Y. S. Liu, F. Yang, and T. J. Cui, “A dc carpet cloak based on resistor networks,” Opt. Express, Vol. 20, No. 23, 25758–25765, Nov. 2012.
- Papas, C. H., Theory of Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, Courier Dover Publications, 2013.
- Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, Wiley, 1998.
- Rainwater, D., A. Kerkhoﬀ, K. Melin, J. C. Soric, G. Moreno, and A. Alu`, “Experimental veriﬁcation of three-dimensional plasmonic cloaking in free-space,” New J. Phys., Vol. 14, No. 1, 013054, Jan. 2012.
- Alu`, A. and N. Engheta, “Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings,” Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, No. 1, 016623, Jul. 2005.
- Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- Tretyakov, S., Analytical Modeling in Applied Electromagnetics, Artech House, 2003.
- Alu`, A., “Mantle cloak: Invisibility induced by a surface,” Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 80, No. 24, 245115, Dec. 2009.
- Chen, P.-Y. and A. Alu`, “Mantle cloaking using thin patterned metasurfaces,” Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 84, No. 20, 205110, Nov. 2011.
- Padooru, Y. R., A. B. Yakovlev, P.-Y. Chen, and A. Alu`, “Line-source excitation of realistic conformal metasurface cloaks,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 112, No. 10, Nov. 2012.
- Tretyakov, S., P. Alitalo, O. Luukkonen, and C. Simovski, “Broadband electromagnetic cloaking of long cylindrical objects,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 103, No. 10, 103905, Sep. 2009.
- Alitalo, P. and S. A. Tretyakov, “Electromagnetic cloaking of strongly scattering cylindrical objects by a volumetric structure composed of conical metal plates,” Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 82, No. 24, 245111, Dec. 2010.
- Alitalo, P., A. E. Culhaoglu, A. V. Osipov, S. Thurner, E. Kemptner, and S. A. Tretyakov, “Bistatic scattering characterization of a three-dimensional broadband cloaking structure,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 111, No. 3, 034901–034901–5, 2012.
- Nicorovici, N. A., G. W. Milton, R. C. McPhedran, and L. C. Botten, “Quasistatic cloaking of two-dimensional polarizable discrete systems by anomalous resonance,” Opt. Express, Vol. 15, No. 10, 6314–6323, May 2007.
- Nicorovici, N.-A. P., R. C. McPhedran, S. Enoch, and G. Tayeb, “Finite wavelength cloaking by plasmonic resonance,” New J. Phys., Vol. 10, No. 11, 115020, Nov. 2008.
- Lai, Y., H. Chen, Z.-Q. Zhang, and C. T. Chan, “Complementary media invisibility cloak that cloaks objects at a distance outside the cloaking shell,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, Mar, 2009.
- Ma, H. F. and T. J. Cui, “Three-dimensional broadband ground-plane cloak made of metamaterials,” Nat. Commun., Vol. 1, 21, Jun. 2010.
- Cummer, S. A. and D. Schurig, “One path to acoustic cloaking,” New J. Phys., Vol. 9, No. 3, 45, Mar. 2007.
- Li, N., J. Ren, L. Wang, G. Zhang, P. Ha¨nggi, and B. Li, “Colloquium: Phononics: Manipulating heat ﬂow with electronic analogs and beyond,” Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 84, No. 3, , Jul. 2012.
- Alu`, A., “Thermal cloaks get hot,” Physics, Vol. 7, No. 12 (3 pages), Feb. 3, 2014.
- Han, T., X. Bai, D. Gao, J. T. L. Thong, B. Li, and C.-W. Qiu, “Experimental demonstration of a bilayer thermal cloak,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 112, No. 5, 054302, Feb. 2014.
- Fleury, R. and A. Alu`, “Quantum cloaking based on scattering cancellation,” Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 87, No. 4, 045423, Jan. 2013.
- Liao, B., M. Zebarjadi, K. Esfarjani, and G. Chen, “Cloaking core-shell nanoparticles from conducting electrons in solids,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 109, No. 12, 126806, 2012.
- Fleury, R.andA. Alu`, “Furtive quantum sensingusingmatter-wave cloaks,” Phys. Rev. B,Vol. 87, No. 20, 201106, May 2013.
- Greenleaf, A., Y. Kurylev, M. Lassas, U. Leonhardt, and G. Uhlmann, “Cloaked electromagnetic, acoustic, and quantum ampliﬁers via transformation optics,” PNAS,Vol. 109, Jun. 2012.
- Chen, H., J. Yang, J. Zi, and C. T. Chan, “Transformation media for linear liquid surface waves,” EPL, Vol. 85, No. 2, 24004, Jan. 2009.
- Farhat, M., S. Enoch, S. Guenneau, and A. B. Movchan, “Broadband cylindrical acoustic cloak for linear surface waves in a ﬂuid,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 101, No. 13, 134501, Sep. 2008.
- Brun, Guenneau, Movchan ‘Achieving control of in-plane elactic Waves”, 2009.
- A.Urzhumov and D.R.Smith, Fluid ﬂow control with transformation media, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 074501, 2011.
- Gong and G. Wang, Superﬁcial tumor hyperthermia with ﬂat left-handed metamaterial lens, Progress In Electromagnetics Research 98 (2009) 389–405.
- Alu´ and N. Engheta, Dielectric sensing in -near-zero narrow waveguide channels, Phys. Rev. B 2008, 78, 045102:1045102:5.
- Shreiber, M. Gupta and R. Cravey, Comparative study of 1-D and 2-D metamaterial lens formicrowave nondestructive evaluation of dielectric materials, Sens. Actuat. A: Phys. 165 (2011).
- Labidi, J.B. Tahar and F. Choubani, Meta-materials applications in thin-ﬁlm sensing and sensing liquids properties, Opt. Express 19 (2011) 733–739.
- L. Xu, B. Peng, D.H. Li, J. Zhang, M.L. Wong, Q. Zhang, S.J. Wang and Q.H. Xiong, Flexible visible infrared metamaterials and their applications in highly sensitive chemical and biological sensing, Nano Lett. 11 (2011) 3232–3238.